Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Wait, I'm vegetarian (on a path to becoming vegan?!)

Whoa this is a lot harder than I thought!  How can this be?! I rarely eat meat as it is so vegetarianism: no big deal. I'm lactose intolerant so I figured I've already been working on giving up the hardest things of all--2 of my favourite foods: cheese and yogurt. The rest should be simple right?

FALSE. 

So utterly false. During lunch with my colleagues this afternoon, I was regrettably and disastrously reminded that gummy candies are made with gelatin. And tell me this: how am I to enjoy s'mores on camping trips if I can't eat marshmallows!? Just to add icing to the cake, I can't even eat honey?! Damnit to hell! Is there anything I can eat? Oh yeah, VEGETABLES!

Regroup! I must remind myself that there is a reason I am doing this and yes,  it is still important enough to me to aspire to this goal. I am still sticking to it but I realize that it will not be as easy as I thought. I've been doing some more research and have come to learn that most people can't go vegan, for lack of a better expression "cold turkey." There are many different ways to be vegan and to transition into a vegan lifestyle. Take these for example!
Now I don't feel so bad. I can still keep my handmade leather jacket! Phew. So I am aiming at being a "Green Vegan" and I also like to dapple in raw food. Okay, I'm being modest. I experiment with raw food all the time (and friends are quite impressed, if I may say so. I can't say the same about my boyfriend though...) I know at times I will have to pull out good ol' number 10, the "Travel Vegan" as I'm an expat teacher and travel a lot. But I have options!!

 This "namelymarly" individual also reminded me that it's not really possible for most people to be 100% vegan.  Did you know that tires have animal products in them? According to Marly they do! I'm going to go ahead and NOT research further, but rather take her word for it just because whether or not this is the case, the point is, animals are most often effected in some way. I'm looking to make a difference for the good of the planet and I will do my best. 

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations about particular vitamins or supplements that vegetarians/vegans must ensure to maintain without the presence of animal products, please leave a comment so I don't wither up and meet my untimely, disastrous demise. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment