Tuesday, December 9, 2014

my latest contribution

I don't really want to say I've just started, because I have been doing some small things to help the environment  for a while now; things that many people do, like...

  • Using reusable bags instead of taking plastic ones at the supermarket!
  • Recycling paper, plastic, glass, and metal.
  • Turning out the lights (okay, I'm not the most conscious of that one but I'll try harder now.)
  • Hanging the clothes on a line instead of using the dryer. Not recommended in the winter, Canada!
I have my parents to thank for making me conscious years ago. This next one is a lesser known action.


This one's for the ladies. (And the guys who don't get queasy easily.)

Diva Cup. Or Moon Cup. Or...any other names for the reusable menstrual cup. Yes, this sounds....disgusting at first. The first time someone told me about this contraption I shut her down instantly. "Gross" is what came to mind. But later, you know what came to mind? Landfills and landfills of tampons. And completely separate landfills of tampon wrappers and tampon applicators. Tampons everywhere!!!


This is what a menstrual cup looks like and after a little practice it gets much easier to insert and remove. One of these will put you back about $30. Thirty dollars and it will last you years. Now think tampons. Even if you use O.B.s, which have less waste because there is no applicator and a much smaller amount of plastic wrapping, think of the cost. $10 for a pack of 40, which would last about 2 months. That will take you to at least $60 per year. I've had my Keeper cup for 4 years so that's about $250 worth of tampons. Quite a saving, both in the wallet and the environment!

Some other pros: You won't get toxic shock syndrome so you can wear it for quite a while without any worries. Of course, it can fill up so this benefit coincides for lighter days.

Things to be mindful of: Make sure you change and clean it where there's a sink next to you. Made that mistake before. If you put it in crooked it can...jab you so take the time to do it right. Also, don't forget to empty it before yoga class...enough said.

Get menstrual cup and save the environment!!



And finally, my newest and cutest step to helping the environment:
a roll of cotton "paper" towels! Not only are they super cute and great conversation starters when you have guests, they're not trash. Just toss it in the wash when you're done. There are many colours and patterns too. I went with a simple design that matches our kitchen perfectly!


 A little pricey at 90 000 colombian pesos (About $45) but I guess that's just what I do because i heart earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment